The Floor Covering Shop has been Eastern Connecticut's home of in-stock flooring since 1963. However, its roots can be traced to downtown Norwich to the early 1940s. Known as MacGarry's Floor Covering Shop, it was located in the historic Marguerite Building at Burnham Square. Irwin Sayet purchased MacGarry's in 1963, renamed the business, and in 1966, he moved across the street to the former A&P Supermarket at 364 Main Street.
Mr. Sayet's business flourished for the next twenty years and, in September 1987, he was joined by current owner Gregory Graf, formerly of Tillinghast Lumber in Killingly. Greg has owned the business since Sayet's 2002 retirement and he was joined by
his son Jonathan, who had been helping after school and on weekends since his early teenage years. They spent the remainder of the decade at their former location, before moving to the Greeneville village of Norwich in 2012.
The Floor Covering Shop is now located at 385 Central Avenue, in Norwich's historic 1906 'Trolley Barn,' previously occupied by Alix Cohn and later, New England Glass & Mirror. The Grafs' new 10,000 square foot facility features more convenient parking, user-friendly showrooms and a 2,000 square foot carpet & vinyl remnant warehouse. The Floor Covering Shop staff currently includes project manager Jennifer Price as well as Greg's daughters-in-law Brittany and Rachel Graf.
Featured Brands & Manufacturers
385 Central Avenue Norwich, CT 06360 Serving eastern Connecticut since 1963